I'd like to report songbird1313's story "HIS" (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9657492/1/His) on Fanfiction.net for plot plagiarism of Curiositykil's fanfic, "MINE" (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8795611/1/Mine).
What do I mean by "plot plagiarism"? Specifically, it's the lifting of the entire main plot from someone else's fanfic, even going so far as to use specific terminology from that fic, and merely changing aspects to be able to re-post it as an original fanfic without being accused of direct plagiarism. The author, songbird1313, is clever and has made sure she hasn't actually stolen whole lines or paragraphs from "Mine". Instead, she has rewritted the fic in her own voice, but the entire plot has clearly been lifted from Curiositykils' plot. In other words, it isn't an original transformative piece in its own right - it's a bad re-edit of someone else's fanfic.
As you can see from the screen shots below, "Mine" was first posted on 14 December 2012. "His" was posted three days ago - 3 September, 2013.
Also, if you visit Songbird1313's Fanfiction.net profile page and scroll down to her works, you can see that she is in the Dramione fandom (she's posted four other Dramione stories to date). If you click the FAVORITE STORIES tab, she's even listed, "Mine" as one of her favourite fanfics (among a slew of other Dramione stories). Clearly, the fact that her story bears a remarkable resemblance to "Mine" is not coincidence. In fact, songbird1313 is quite forthcoming in actually admitting that her story is "inspired by" Curiositykils' "Mine" (see her author's note at beginning of chapter 3 - screenshot below). Yet, despite the fact she knows she's stolen Curiositykils' entire plot, she states that she intends to continue the story.
Please know that Curiositykils has PM'd me personally, disturbed by this entire situation, and knows I am active in keeping tabs of plagiarists in our fandom. She asked me for advice as to how to report what songbird1313 has done as plagiarism. She was clearly not comfortable with what songbird1313 has done to her copyright (original transformative works, as you know, have their own implied copyright). Please contact her directly if you need any of these facts verified.
( Collapse )
Here are the plot elements that songbird1313 lifted directly from Curiositykils' fanfic, "MINE":
- Hermione Granger is a Healer who is called in by the Ministry to investigate an odd case that the Aurors have stumbled upon: various Death Eaters were captured and experimented on post-war by unknowns, splicing their DNA with monsters (werewolves, vampires, veela, dragons, etc.)
- Draco Malfoy was among those captured and freed by Aurors. He's been spliced with a Veela.
- Hermione Granger is Draco's Veela mate.
- When Draco wakes up as a Veela, his human personality is completely sublimated, and instead the Veela has its own personality that takes him over and claims Hermione as his mate, saying, "MINE!"
- VeelaDraco speaks of himself in the third person (by chapter 3, after getting caught plagiarizing, songbird1313 gave the Veela the name "Kai", as if changing that element makes the story different somehow). He refers to Hermione as "Mate" only. He pitches a fit when Hermione shows rejection of him, and blames himself for that failure.
- The character of Padma Patil in "Mine" has been replaced by Pansy Parkinson in "His", and the character James in "Mine" has been replaced by Marcus Flint in "His".
- Even the title of songbird1313's story ("HIS") is ripped from CuriosityKils' summary: "Draco is a Veela. Hermione isn't his Healer. She's just his."
I hope this matter can be resolved to all parties' satisfaction. Thank you for your time and help in this matter.